When will people learn to properly escape preformatted blocks?

I've noticed this when I first posted source code in Haskell to this blog few months ago. I think I have encountered this problem before (maybe even multiple times!), but it was so long ago that it slipped my mind. So it happened that I have posted unescaped code between <pre> and </pre> tags. This is trivially a silly act (imagine if your source code had </pre>...) and the standards are also clear on this issue: HTML 4.01 Specification: Character entity references [w3.org], Using character entities and NCRs: When to use escapes [w3.org]. Always remember to escape at least &lt;, &gt; and &amp;!

You may be wondering how I noticed that in the first place while most web browsers today are so forgiving. Some years ago when I first committed this error (perhaps with comparison operators), I have fixed it myself because on second thought it was trivially ill formed (and I have also looked it up in the standard later). But this time, it was by accident! :) I have mentioned this before, but I repeat that I'm regularly monitoring my web creations using many different browsers. They give different results because some have very strong standard adherence, while others simply have differing error correction heuristics.

In short: links2 eats the remaining line following a monadic left pointing binding arrow! :-D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tftp secret of TL-WR740N uncovered

Hidden TFTP of TP-Link routers

Haskell for embedded: C output, compilers, monads, Timber