Computer replacement - Asus Eee PC

I've purchased a new Asus Eee PC 2g (700x) portable "netbook" computer last year. It cost the equivalent of about 128 Euros in a local shop nearby, though prices were very close citywide back then. At least I found good use for my aging 4 GiB USB flash drive.

I'd been considering this exact purchase since the manufacturer has announced this line. Though for business reasons, it took them some time to market the smallest model.

I've loaded Pupee Linux on it, installed Google Chrome, disabled a few background processes, developed a few simple scripts for it and made some other small customizations. I may share my exact customizations later on.

Battery life varies greatly with usage. If you disable all onboard devices and turn down the backlight to about 10-20%, you can study from PDF or HTML documents for 3:07 (187 minutes). The biggest consumers are the processor and the wireless radio, so heavily browsing the web on a wireless network reduces this to a bit over two hours.

The small internal cooling fan can be switched off or regulated by hand if needed.

Hardware specifications can be viewed at the following sites:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tftp secret of TL-WR740N uncovered

Hidden TFTP of TP-Link routers

Haskell for embedded: C output, compilers, monads, Timber