BZFlag on GMA900 of Eee PC is playable with a trick

Runs very nice, at about 30-40 FPS on laser sniping, but only when the settings are adjusted correctly! Out of box experience is garbage, performing something between 5 to 10 FPS on a random map, but of course a lot depends on the specific map. After going through hoops of tweaking, I went as far as uninstalling the game and completely giving up.

That was until recently, as on second thought, I simply couldn't believe that such simple polygon graphics advertised to support legacy PC's chokes on a 3D accelerator. I gave it another try, and as how it generally goes, your calm mind works much better on the same problem after having left it get organized by your brain subconsciously over time.

All in all, after literally toggling every option available from the GUI, I had to conclude that it wasn't the 3D effects which were holding back the computer or even the antialiased radar map in the corner - it was the overlayed bitmapped text! At first I couldn't believe my eyes, but basically, if you disable stats display that show your score and also disable comments (or make it opaque), you're up 10-fold in performance!

I have to write down this one for myself, as it doesn't sound trivial.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tftp secret of TL-WR740N uncovered

Hidden TFTP of TP-Link routers

Haskell for embedded: C output, compilers, monads, Timber