Google Apps Script external version control almost here

Many have desired to collaborate in the development of Google Apps Scripts. Two outstanding issues had been open for some time in this area:
Issue 1959: Collaborative editing of scripts
Issue 217: Make Google Code the back-end version control for collaborative scripting

A feature offered from June enables API access of script source code. This potentially enables connection to an external repository, like Google Code or GitHub. See the linked screencast and talk or the API below.
YouTube: Apps Script Crash Course: Import/Export Apps Script Code

Google Developers: Importing and Exporting Projects

After breaking this barrier, I can now start gathering some of my more useful scripts to share via bkil-open, though I'll probably simply copy&paste for now.

Comments

  1. Hi bkil,

    Were you ever able to use an external version control system to manage Google apps scripts? If so, do you build/deploy scripts with a CI Server using the API's referenced in your post here? I'd like to do this, but wanted to know if you had any experience/success with this before starting. Please let me know.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Phil,

    Thank you for your interest. Unfortunately, I haven't started any new big development via GAS which would warrant fine tuning the development environment for me. Well, I have actually started migrating to NetBeans to make maintenance, testing and development of my existing smallish scripts smoother, but my rarely triggered deployment process still involves a few seconds of copy&paste. :)

    I mostly run simple things like scheduled data aggregation, email helpers/conversion and site/news/forum monitoring for myself and some of my friends. I do plan to publicly release some of these at a later date. However, I view that as a very low priority task, because I anticipate low demand. What are your use cases?

    I'm not sure what your exact requirements are, but the user tienf... has posted a nice hint at the feature request:
    https://code.google.com/p/google-apps-script-issues/issues/detail?id=1959#c30

    Basically, you could resume your development and testing via GitHub. You could either hook up a gdcmdtools to GAS import as a manual deployment step, or trigger it by pull request, passing some of your tests, etc. Just ask if you need clarification.

    Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What tienf did (gdput) should work for us - use case is team collaborating on scripts, and using same vc tools we use for other projects with GAS projects. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tftp secret of TL-WR740N uncovered

Hidden TFTP of TP-Link routers

Haskell for embedded: C output, compilers, monads, Timber