Testing Lenny: installation with debootstrap under Etch

I'm not specialized in doing that, but I had to commence many operating system installs to this day. I plan to write a bit on that next time. Here's how I've installed Debian 5.0 Lenny (qualified as testing as of September of 2008).

I did it two times in a row to be exact, because of an unfortunately hardware fault after two days of usage (okay, maybe it was partially mine). The second one should have taken much less time, but I goofed with the settings of apt-move. You see I got it right with Etch before, but I forgot to write it down (I found it in the file anyway). I have been writing down what I customize from the start just because of that. Thankfully, that's a good habit of mine.

Some words about the instructions in the file ("almost" a shell script). I tried to be self-explanatory, and have written a little preface to help place things in context. NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND: I am not held liable for anything you do wrong with the text given below, not even if your dog buys the farm afterwords or such.

The whole process in a nutshell is as follows. You unpack a base system from a disk or an official mirror with the program called debootstrap. From then on, you will work inside a chroot to protect you (but only to a limited extent!) from misspelled rm's and such. Be warned, that disk formatting, grub-install and the likes can still make your PC dysfunctional! Some configuration files need to be edited with sane default values. Then to make it all be able to boot up, a kernel (and grub) is added. Finally some of my favorite packages are installed (and also tweaked a little) that suit an older (or passive) computer fine.

Click ++ HERE ++ to see the instructions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tftp secret of TL-WR740N uncovered

Hidden TFTP of TP-Link routers

Haskell for embedded: C output, compilers, monads, Timber