Receiving FM radio without an antenna

I've started experimenting with my TV & radio tuners. One of them gets perfect reception on 15 of the 17 nearby FM radio stations in the area. It gives acceptable quality on the remaining two talk radios. It's an Asus 3in1, supporting hybrid PAL/DVB-T/DVB-S/FM.

My UHF TV aerial is just a bare wire of proper length at the end of an extension cable. FM reception gets a bit weaker on some channels after disconnecting it. I've tried to disconnect every cable except the display, power and keyboard to no effect.

A proposed explanation is coupling through the power lines and/or improper grounding. Three of the broadcasts are high power regional transmitters with nearby origin. The rest are local ones with reduced power that also transmit from the surrounding hills.

I made a script that uses fmtools to scan and tune in channels. It also coordinates digital audio capture and playback from the card's ADC. I've also experimented with gnomeradio. Unfortunately, I had to use the same kludge because it doesn't support digital audio capture through anything else than legacy OSS. I also had to tweak gconf manually because it has a bug regarding selecting tuners.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tftp secret of TL-WR740N uncovered

Hidden TFTP of TP-Link routers

Haskell for embedded: C output, compilers, monads, Timber